Comprehensive Medication Review
What is a Comprehensive Medication Review?
A Comprehensive Medication Review is a service provided, by your pharmacist, which helps you better manage your medications and medical conditions. This service is provided to eligible Albertans, free of charge.
Your pharmacist will:
- Identify your unique health goals
- Ensure you understand how to properly take each of your medications and why you are taking them
- Provide you with a take home list of all current prescription and over the counter medications, supplements and natural health products
- Identify any potential or existing drug therapy problems and develop a plan of action to resolve them
- Develop a follow-up plan that helps you achieve your unique health goals and ensures that any issues identified are communicated to other health care professionals involved in your care
What is the time commitment involved?
A pharmacist will sit down with you in one of our private counseling areas and spend approximately 30 to 45 minutes, one-on-one, to perform your individualized medication review. Book a review now...
What should I bring to the appointment?
It’s a good idea to bring your Alberta Health Care card and all of your prescription and over the counter medications, supplements, and natural health products.
How do I know if I’m eligible?
Once yearly, as an Albertan, with a current Alberta Health Care card, you qualify for a comprehensive medication review at no charge, if you meet the following criteria:
- You have at least 1 of the following chronic conditions:
- High Blood Pressure, Heart Failure or Heart Disease, Diabetes (Type 1 or 2), Asthma or COPD, Mental Illness
- AND you take 3 different prescription drugs, OR you take 2 different prescription drugs and insulin
- You have at least 2 of the following chronic conditions: High Blood Pressure, Heart Failure or Heart Disease, Diabetes (Type 1 or 2), Asthma or COPD, Mental Illness
- You have at least 1 of the following chronic conditions: High Blood Pressure, Heart Failure or Heart Disease, Diabetes (Type 1 or 2), Asthma or COPD, Mental Illness AND 1 of the following risk factors: Obesity, Addictions (including tobacco)
If you are not sure if you are eligible one of our pharmacists would be happy advise you*.
What if I’m not eligible for a Comprehensive Medication Review as part of my Alberta health care coverage? Can a pharmacist still perform one for me?
Yes. One of our Pharmacists would be happy sit down with you and develop a personalized care plan to help you achieve your unique health goals. The cost for this service is $120 per appointment.
*If you are not currently eligible for medication review as part of your Alberta health care coverage, check back in April 2014, as the Alberta government is likely updating coverage criteria to include: all diabetics (Type 1 and 2) who are taking at least one prescription medication or insulin, and all Albertans who are using tobacco daily and wish to quit.